What you need to know about living in Japan

About part-time job (activities outside the status of residence)

International students are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week (40 hours during long vacations) if they apply for and receive permission from the Immigration and Immigration Office to engage in activities outside the status of residence.Working part-time is useful not only to stabilize your life as a foreign student, but also to familiarize yourself with Japanese society and to put into practice the Japanese language you have learned. However, this activity must be within the scope of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act and must not interfere with classes or Japanese language study. Aile academy will introduce students to part-time jobs that match their wishes and Japanese language skills through a reliable introduction agency. We also offer an interview preparation course, so please take advantage of this if you are interested in a part-time job.

Notes:  Prohibited part-time job (activities outside the status of the residence)
International students must not work part-time for more than 28 hours per week (40 hours per week during long holidays).
International students must not work in the adult entertainment industry or in facilities (institutions) that are regarded as inappropriate by the school.

Money management

Manage your money in a bank account. In Japan, ATMs are available at convenience stores and deposits and withdrawals can be made anywhere in the country, so it is very convenient.
A school staff member will accompany you to open a bank account shortly after you arrive in Japan, so don’t worry. You will need your residence card, seal and passport.

Mine or someone else’s ?

You must not use it without permission, as it belongs to someone else, except your own. It is also a crime of shoplifting if you take shop items out of the shop without paying for them.
Public property is for everyone’s use, so use it carefully. Also, if you find a wallet or other item that has fallen off, you must inform the police.

Public transportation

JR (Japan Railway) and Nishitetsu (West Japan Railway) / bus have cards that allow you to get on and off and transfer between trains and buses by simply holding your card over an automatic ticket gate without buying a ticket. It is sold under the name “SUGOCA” for JR and “nimoca” for Nishitetsu / bus.

Obligation to register bicycles for security purposes.

In Japan, it is compulsory to register your bicycle for security purposes if you own and use it. The procedure can be done at the bicycle shop where you bought it. If you receive a bicycle from a friend, be sure to change the security registration before using it. If you do not register your bicycle, you may be stopped by the police.

In case of illness or injury

When you first arrive in Japan, you may feel sick or anxious until you get used to your new life. If you feel even the slightest bit unwell, please consult with a school teacher or staff member immediately. In case of an illness or serious injury that prevents you from moving, please call “119” and ask for an ambulance.

Buying a mobile phone and SIM

There are various mobile phone service companies in Japan. If you wish to purchase a mobile phone or SIM after you arrive in Japan, consult your school. We can introduce you to specialized stores where international students can purchase cell phones safely and comfortably. You will need your passport, residence card, personal seal and bank account when signing the contract.